As the first truly global creation story, the evolutionary epic has the potential to unite rather than to divide humanity.
~ David Christian
• Every kid goes to school full of questions about meaning. You know, ‘What’s my place in the universe? What does it mean to be a human being? What are human beings?’ Existing courses cannot help you answer those questions. They can’t even help you ask them. ~ David Christian
• Big History studies the history of everything, offering a way of making sense of our world and our role within it. ~ David Christian
• Big History’s not going to replace existing educational courses. It’s not an attack on specialisation. It is simply the argument that specialisation needs to be complemented with an overview, which I think is scientific commonsense. ~ David Christian
• I believe human beings mark a threshold in the development of the planet, of course, but it is only part of the picture. What Big History can do is show us the nature of our complexity and fragility and the dangers that face us, but it can also show us our power, with collective learning. ~ David Christian
• Our goal is to see Big History become a normal part of high school curricula. I’d love to see it being taught in lots of languages. A global course. ~ David Christian