Creatures evolved in ecosystems. In this activity, students will demonstrate the interdependence of various creatures in a pond ecosystem. They do this by creating a web made of yarn.
Everything is connected.
Age level: 7 to adult.
Time: One hour
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate how all creatures depend on others creatures for survival. .
Students engage their minds and hands in this activity.
- Ball of yarn
- Creature Cards: print and cut out the following on cardstock to make cards (see below)
Water Striders – (Gerris remigis) –
Azola Fern –
Anaebena Cyanobacteria – Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria
Free-living Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria
Parrot Feather Bunch (Myriophyllum aquaticum)
Painted Lady Butterfly
Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly
Water forget-me-not (Myosotis scorpioides)
Moneywort (Lysimachia nummularia)
- Give each student a Creature Card
- Give ball of yarn to first student
- Have them unwind yarn as they give ball of yarn to another student with a Creature card that their creature depends upon.
Biology by Neil Campbell, Jane B. Reese, and Lawrence G. Mitchell. This outstanding biology textbook for college students is permeated with great information about evolution.
National Standards Addressed (NRC):